July 28-August 3, 1974

Talkin' to your toothbrush...& other Cass Elliot Friends!

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

July 28-August 3, 1974

Postby Brownjb81 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 pm

We all know that this Tuesday marks the 40th anniversary of Cass Elliot's death. Her death is one of my favorite rock star deaths. One of the things that has fascinated about Cass Elliot isn't how she died but when she died. I'm sure that a lot of you aren't aware that some interesting things occurred during the week of her death:

July 28, 1974:
Detroit Lions head coach Don McCafferty died of a heart attack while cutting his grass. He coached the Baltimore Colts to a victory in Super Bowl V in 1971 and became the first rookie head coach to win the Super Bowl. Cass was born in Baltimore, Maryland. I mentioned Don McCafferty because he was the head coach of the Detroit Lions when he died and I am a lifelong Detroit Lions fan having grown up in the Detroit area. It blows my mind that the 2 deaths occurred a day apart from each other.

July 29, 1974:
Besides Cass passing away on that day, Guardian Industries President William Davidson bought the Detroit Pistons for $8.1 million. It wasn't earth shattering news but the Pistons went on to win 3 NBA Championships (1989, 1990, and 2004). I am also a longtime Pistons fan.

I recently posted that the Detroit Tigers hit 3 homers in the first inning in a game that they played earlier this month. It was the fifth time in the last 75 years that they hit 3 homers in the first inning and one of those times occurred on July 29, 1974.

July 30, 1974:
Actress Hilary Swank was born in this day. Her birth wasn't earth shattering news but she would go on to win 2 Academy Awards for best actress. Most actresses don't even win 1 award for best actress let alone 2 but Hilary won twice.

I also listen to classic American Top 40 shows in my car every weekend and one of my favorite AT40 shows is from the week ending August 3, 1974. I love hearing the songs that was on the charts when Cass died. I was only 2 years old when Cass died and I didn't experience that week first hand but it has become one of my favorite periods in history.
Brownjb81

Return to General Cass Elliot Discussion