[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Cass Elliot Community Forum • View topic - Straight Shooter DVD and California Dreamin' (Live) facts

Straight Shooter DVD and California Dreamin' (Live) facts

What's the B-Side!?

Moderators: Admin, Rbcsoup

Straight Shooter DVD and California Dreamin' (Live) facts

Postby Tri.Moon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:04 pm

I noticed that Straight Shooter TV version is in stereo and DVD version is in mono. It's little bit odd.

I also noticed that there are many versions of Monterey Pop California Dreamin' performance and I don't mean just the remastered and original version. Anyway:

#1 - In the Mamas & Papas Complete Anthology (3CD set) it's mono remastered version
Thought the audio jumps little bit from the center, still mono.

#2 - In the Monterey International Pop Festival (4CD set) it's stereo remastered version
Thought the stereo isn't wide and it sounds confined.

#3 - In the Live In Monterey Festival Pop 1967 (6CD set) it's stereo remastered version
I recommend this because it's so well remastered, Cass's voice comes from left channel and Denny's and John's voice comes from right channel(thought the channel are swapped, don't know why). You can hear both voices so well and they are very clean, also it sounds like real live performance.

#4 - In the Monterey Pop Festival DVD there are stereo original version and stereo remastered version
I also recommend this if you are looking for the original version of the song. The remastered version is ok, better than #1 and #2. It's more wider and sounds more live.

#5 - In the Monterey Pop Festival VHS it's mono original version but it's faster and has a higher pitch
Not sure is this VHS version but anyway.

#6 - In The Old Grey Whistle Test Show it's mono original version, same as #5
Nothing to add here.

#7 - In The Golden Age of Rock and Roll Show it's mono left channel original version, same as #6
I say left channel because in the original stereo version the piano comes from the left channel and the drums from the right channel. In this version you only can hear the piano and not those drums. So they only took the audio from the left channel since the show was broadcasted in mono. I guess the reason why they just used one channel was that you couldn't make monomix of that song (moving left channel and right channel in the center) because the audio would screw up. Let say you get this if you try to make mono version of that original stereo version by yourself, the audio screws up. I don't know how they got that to work in the VHS version.

#8 - In The Straight Shooter DVD it's mono right channel original version
The audio is taken from the right channel. You can hear the drums but not the piano.

I know this is useless information but I just wanted share this =P

Here is short sample each of these versions, they come in the same order as they are listed:

1. The Mamas & Papas Complete Anthology (3CD set) version
2. Monterey International Pop Festival (4CD set) version
3. Live In Monterey Festival Pop 1967 (6CD set) version
4. Monterey Pop Festival DVD Remastered version
5. Monterey Pop Festival DVD Original version
6. Monterey Pop Festival VHS version/The Old Grey Whistle Test Show version
7. The Golden Age of Rock and Roll Show version
8. Straight Shooter DVD version

So here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eunmqp
Tri.Moon

Re: Straight Shooter DVD and California Dreamin' (Live) facts

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Not useless at all, actually, it's much appreciated!
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Alby » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Thank you for posting this interesting information...
I'd like to add that the sound in the Mamas & The Papas' CD "Historic performances recorded at the Monterey International Pop Festival" (MCA/One way records, 1990) is Mono and sometimes the sound goes to the right and left channel, a very bad remastering but it's still worth having as it was also released as an original album on vinyl...

The pity keeps being that Michelle's voice is not heard at all in the entire Monterey performance, now I see either in none of those 8 versions you showed on mp3...you can just hear hear at times from far maybe cause Cass' mic may capture her voice.

Albert.
Alby

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm

The story I heard is that Michelle's mic was turned way down because she had a cold, but whatever the reason, it's a damn shame if you ask me. I've been meaning to take the tracks into Adobe Audition and see if there's anything I can do to raise her vocals a bit.
Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby pufnstuf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:04 am

where can i get a copy of the live in monterey 6 cd set
what is the label and number
T
pufnstuf

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:00 am

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby Tri.Moon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:26 am

Tri.Moon

Postby Ars_Nova_Chris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:42 pm

Ars_Nova_Chris

Postby dunhill » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Monterey Pop Radio Concerts version is by far the best I've heard. Radio Express did an excellent job of remastering this 9 CD radio program. By far the most comprehensive chronicle of the concert on CD.

Charles
dunhill

Return to Discographical Data